“Ethics 101: From Altruism and Utilitarianism to Bioethics and Political Ethics, an Exploration of the Concepts of Right and Wrong” by Brian Boone is a beginner-friendly guide that explores various ethical theories and concepts. The book covers a range of ethical perspectives, from historical theories like utilitarianism and deontology to contemporary issues in bioethics and political ethics. Boone provides a concise overview of each concept, breaking down complex ideas into easily understandable terms. The book is designed to introduce readers to the fundamental principles of ethics, making it accessible to those who may be new to the subject. It serves as a primer for individuals interested in understanding different ethical frameworks and their applications in various aspects of life
Major topics covered
- Introduction to Ethics: Basic definitions and the importance of ethical considerations.
- Historical Ethical Theories:
- Utilitarianism: The idea that actions should maximize overall happiness or utility.
- Deontology: Emphasizing the importance of following moral rules and duties.
- Virtue Ethics: Exploring the development of good character traits as the foundation for ethical behaviour.
- Applied Ethics:
- Bioethics: Ethical considerations in the field of biology and medicine.
- Environmental Ethics: Ethics related to the environment and our impact on it.
- Business Ethics: Moral considerations in the business world.
- Political Ethics: Examining ethical principles in the context of politics and governance.
- Social Justice: Addressing issues of fairness and justice in society.
- Metaethics: Exploring the nature of ethics, including questions about objectivity and subjectivity.
- Religious Ethics: Considering how various religious traditions approach ethical questions.
- Current Ethical Issues: Examining contemporary ethical challenges and debates.
What do I like in this book most?
The book is designed to be a primer, providing a concise introduction to key ethical concepts without overwhelming me with unnecessary details. It explores how ethical theories can be applied to real-life situations, making it relevant to everyday decision-making. The book also covers a wide range of topics within ethics, from historical theories to contemporary issues.
I made small timelines on various philosophers and ethicists which are mentioned in this book.
This book also recognizes a potential avenue for my further exploration. The primary discussion and renowned theories originate from the Western perspective. Even though the Eastern tradition has a longer history of engaging in ethical discourse, particularly from the perspective of virtues, it is an area that I find intriguing and may delve into as my next in-depth study.
A 200+ page, easy read book is a good leisure read, but be prepared to learn new insights on Ethics.
Have a good read!
Join my reading challenge Sumit’s 2023 reading challenge | Goodreads